If your budget is not enough to take your family in a Japanese dining experience, you can now bring the Japanese taste on your very own dinner table. It wouldn’t require classy porcelain of oriental design. It wouldn’t require Japanese table setting. Just follow this recipe and your family will surely enjoy the tofu steak delight of Japan.
¼ kilo Tofu
½ cup flour
¼ tsp. salt
½ cup water
1 cup Japanese bread crumbs
Cooking oil for frying
Ground Pork Topping
½ kilo ground pork
4-6 cloves garlic, minced
1 white onion, julienne strips
¼ c. butter
¼ cup Japanese soy sauce
1/8 cup oyster sauce
2 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. cornstarch dissolved in water
½ cup water
1 stalk onion leeks, cut in strips
1. Cut tofu in squares. Set aside.
2. To make the batter mixture, mix flour, egg, water, and salt in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
3. Prepare Japanese crumbs in a separate bowl.
4. Deep tofu one piece at a time in batter mixture, then, bread crumbs. Allow to rest for 3 minutes.
5. Fry breaded tofu in deep hot oil until golden brown. Drain excess oil.
6. In a separate frying pan, sauté in butter garlic, onion, pork until meat change its color.
7. Add soy sauce, oyster sauce, and sugar. Simmer for 3 minutes.
8. Dilute cornstarch into water. Stir in cornstarch solution to meat mixture. Add in ½ leeks and simmer until sauce thickens. Turn off heat.
9. Arrange fried tofu on a platter. Top the meat mixture on tofu. Garnish with the rest of the leeks.
10. Serve hot with rice.